WELCOME TO OUR SCHOOL
The Devon Hospitals Short Stay School provides education for children in hospital in Devon.
We teach on two sites –
- Bramble Unit at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Exeter
- Caroline Thorpe Ward at the North Devon District Hospital, Barnstaple
Our mission statement is:
- to enable all young people attending the Devon Hospitals Short Stay School to receive an education which successfully meets their individual needs. Our holistic and child-centred approach strives to incorporate the social, emotional, physical and medical aspects of the child’s needs, in order to provide a safe, positive and nurturing educational environment in which the child has the opportunity to achieve success.
Our aims are:
- to provide a continuity of education and facilitate inclusion
- to provide a safe, secure, stimulating environment in which education can take place
- to work in partnership with families, carers, medical professionals, schools and support agencies
After over 17 years based at our North Devon classroom, Elaine has decided to retire at the end of this term. Elaine has witnessed many changes at the site not least the major move to the current location! She has made a massive difference to the lives of so young people and to the school as a whole and will be greatly missed by everyone.We wish her all the very best as she makes the most of her newly found free time. Thank you Elaine!
After 6 years with us, Vanessa will be leaving on May 12th to take up a new position as Children's Well-being Practitioner with Virgin Care. We are really pleased for her, and know that she will be fantastic at the job, but will really miss her!
Thank you Vanessa for all the hard work and support you have given us and GOOD LUCK for the future!
We are in the process of recruiting for staff to replace Elaine and Vanessa. Details of the vacancies can be found on Devon Jobs
Once again we are collecting Sainsbury's vouchers. You can find collection boxes
- In the main entrance at North Devon District Hospital
- Outside the classroom at RDE
You can also give them to any member of staff or school Manager. Thank you in advance!
WHAT THE CHILDREN AND PARENTS HAVE TO SAY;
"I very much enjoyed my time in school."
"I liked everything!"
"I definitely felt well supported."
"I was really pleased with the resources provided and the manner and the helpfulness of the teacher."
"10 out of 10!"
"I felt that my child's learning needs were catered for, they arranged for the GCSE exam to be taken in hospital, really helpful, thank you!"
(Taken from pupil and parent questionnaires)
We have returned from the Easter break to very busy classrooms! Even for a small setting, there is always such a lot going on!
Latest DHSSS Events
- Welcome back Mike!28Jun2017
@ Bramble classrooms
We are looking forward to catching up with storyteller Mike and his latest tales